There is nothing better than seeing a child discover the joy of reading. These beautifully illustrated Little Learner books enable children to read using their new knowledge of letters and sounds to decode text. They are carefully sequenced in 7 stages. Each stage is expertly levelled to support children as they move through the stages of learning to read.
Stage 1 books are introduced once childrne know eight letters and sounds - m s f a p t c i (two vowels). Each stage has a small number of Heart words - that is high frequency words that children cannot decode at this stage and need to learn by heart. Later these words won't be Heart words.
Heart words: The My my I
The Stage 1 stories introduce the Zan family - Tim, Pip, Mum and Dad plus their two pets, Sam and Tip.
1. Sam, Pip, Tim are at the park playing on the slide, climbing ropes and having a swing.
2. I am Tim: This story is about Pip and Tim having lots of fun at the fun fair.
3. My cat Tip: Tim's cat Tip gets his name because of the white tip at the end of his tail. This story introduces Tip.
4. The Map: Mum gets rather cross with Tim when he doesn't sit down in the boat. The, when he does sit down, the map floats out of his hand. Poor Tim!
5. Sam is it: Sam and Tip are chasing each other around the tree playing the game 'it'.